Schönbrunn Castle is one of the most important cultural monuments in Austria. The whole ensemble, which is classified as a historical monument, and to which the castle, the park with its numerous park buildings, fountains and figures and the zoo belong, was named a World Cultural Heritage by the UNESCO at the end of 1996. From 1569 on, the castle was owned by the Habsburg ruling family and after the end of the monarchy became the possession of the Republic.
The whole estate was called „Katterburg“ since the beginning of the 14th century and served as a hunting castle. According to a legend, Emperor Matthias is said to have discovered the Beautiful Well during one of his hunting trips in 1612, and that later gave the estate its name. In about 1642 the empress had a castle built which resulted in changing the name of the „Katterburg“ into „Schönbrunn“, and which was well-known for having an active social life.
After being destroyed by the Turks, the present building was built towards the end of the 17th century. It was repeatedly altered until the middle of the 18th century. At this time over 1500 people were living in Schönbrunn Castle. One of the alterations was also the building of a castle theatre by Empress Maria Theresia. After Maria Theresia`s death, Schönbrunn Castle was uninhabited and was only again used as a summer residence at the beginning of the 19th century under Emperor Franz.
The original game enclosure from the time of the „Katterburg“ was changed into the „Schönbrunn Pleasure Garden“ from 1695. The Castle Park gained its present form through Maria Theresia. The garden consists of Schönbrunn Park in the Valley of the Vienna River, a palm house and a large zoo, which has existed for 250 years and is therefore considered to be the oldest zoo in the world.
In the years 1805 and 1809 Schönbrunn was occupied by Napoleon twice. The castle thereby also gained in political importance. Prussia and France signed a peace treaty here in 1805. In addition, in 1809 the “Peace of Schönbrunn” between France and Austria was made. In this treaty Austria lost, among others, Triest and parts of Carinthia and Croatia. After the fall of Napoleon in the years 1814 – 1815 the Congress of Vienna was also held here for the Political Reform of Europe.
Length: 63 cm
Width: 24 cm
Height: 11 cm
Number of sheets: 8.5
– No feedback has been given for Schreiber-Bogen Card Modelling Schönbrunn Castle Vienna. –